Which Incarceration Alternatives Might I Be Eligible For?

Being charged with and convicted of a crime is frightening and many people assume they’re going to be incarcerated for at least a short period of time after all is said and done. However, this isn’t necessarily true in every case. 

Some defendants are eligible for alternatives to jail time depending on the circumstances of their case. Here are some potential alternatives and how to secure trustworthy legal advocacy today. 

Payment of Restitution or Fines  

If you were convicted of a misdemeanor or minor offense that primarily caused financial impact to the victim(s), you may be ordered to pay restitution instead of being sent to jail. Restitution is designed to compensate the victim(s) for the value of the property damaged or lost during the commission of the crime, and the court may impose punitive fines as well. 

Rehabilitation for Drugs, Alcohol, or Anger Management   

A judge may also order followup support for offenders who may be struggling with addiction or anger management problems. For example, a drunk driver may be ordered to attend driving safety and alcohol counseling classes, while a domestic violence offender may be required to go through extensive anger management counseling. 

Serving Your Community   

Community service is one of the most common alternatives to a jail sentence, especially for first-time offenders who don’t have a criminal record or were convicted of a misdemeanor. Most often, community service is ordered along with another penalty, such as the payment of fines and mandatory counseling or therapy. 

House Arrest 

House arrest is an alternative form of incarceration that involves the defendant being ordered to stay at home and wearing a special monitor that alerts law enforcement if the defendant leaves the approved area. This is generally preferable to jail time, however, not all defendants are eligible for this particular incarceration alternative. Typically, the crime must be non-violent and the defendant a first-time offender. 

How to Get Help Staying Out of Jail After Being Convicted of a Crime 

A seasoned criminal defense attorney is your best ally not only when it comes to reducing or eliminating the charges against you, but also petitioning for the least severe penalties if the former isn’t successful. Your lawyer can help negotiate incarceration alternatives that keep you out of jail, allowing you to continue living a relatively normal life. Contact Britt Criminal Defense for a consultation to discuss the details of your criminal case now at 443-944-5705.